• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I figured out the problem to my rough idle/stalling/P0123 code. Turns out the clock spring is bad. Unplugged and now it runs great. Now to replace the battery and fix all the other minor issues then off to the build.

I bought another XJ....

Pictures??

Drove the Jeep to work this morning. No heat. Frozen coolant lines. BOOM. Lower radiator hose exploded. lol Fun times.

This the same one you did the motor on?

I figured out the problem to my rough idle/stalling/P0123 code. Turns out the clock spring is bad. Unplugged and now it runs great. Now to replace the battery and fix all the other minor issues then off to the build.

What year is that xj? How does the clock spring affect that?

What year is that xj? How does the clock spring affect that?

It's a 97. Apparently the clock spring shares a circuit (or something like that) with the TPS. When the clock spring goes bad, sometimes it will send a bad ground signal and result in incorrect volts going to the TPS which then makes it go haywire and will send a P0123 fault. I need to replace the clock spring but I'm not in any hurry as I still have a few things to fix to get it road worthy.

I just watched Ultimate Adventure 2015 and saw the part where they went to Harlan. It got my excitement up so it's time to start prepping the XJ for the trip. I've got a few things to fix.

AOP looks pretty fun too.

I just watched Ultimate Adventure 2015 and saw the part where they went to Harlan. It got my excitement up so it's time to start prepping the XJ for the trip. I've got a few things to fix.

AOP looks pretty fun too.

What's on the list to fix?

Leaky fuel coupler at the rail, the locker made a lot of racket during the last Crawl in 2016 (sounded like a ratchet), and I have a cross member to install. Not a long list really. It does need to be driven through as it's been parked for over a year and a half.

Leaky fuel coupler at the rail, the locker made a lot of racket during the last Crawl in 2016 (sounded like a ratchet), and I have a cross member to install. Not a long list really. It does need to be driven through as it's been parked for over a year and a half.

My list includes the following lol:

Replace clock spring - Not urgent. Will get to it when I get to it.
Repair transmission cooler lines to Radiator
New brakes - 8.25 disc conversion while I'm at it
Valve cover gasket
Replace leaking power steering lines
Replace battery

My list includes the following lol:

Replace clock spring - Not urgent. Will get to it when I get to it.
Repair transmission cooler lines to Radiator
New brakes - 8.25 disc conversion while I'm at it
Valve cover gasket
Replace leaking power steering lines
Replace battery

That isn't too bad. The transmission lines will be messy.

Do you have the D35 Grand disc brakes for the 8.25? Or are you doing something different? I think I've seen something about 8.8 brakes too.

The battery is my kind of job although it would probably turned into an engine rebuild if I was attempting it.

That isn't too bad. The transmission lines will be messy.

Do you have the D35 Grand disc brakes for the 8.25? Or are you doing something different? I think I've seen something about 8.8 brakes too.

The battery is my kind of job although it would probably turned into an engine rebuild if I was attempting it.

Haha. I don't have anything for the disc brake upgrade yet but I do plan on doing the ZJ discs. Apparently KJ discs will swap over also so I may look into that too.

I messed up both of my fuel line clips getting them off last night.......so I'm dedicated now! I'm going at lunch to look at some O'Reilly got in for me.

I didn't get anything done on my XJ this weekend. However I did change the oil and filter in the Honda Odyssey, air filter, aired up tires (all were under 30 PSI), and topped off fluids.

I'll buy a small tube cutter today and will be repairing my leaking transmission line on the XJ this week.

Wheeled the Shop for a trail. Then I rode in a yota the rest of the day. Had a great Birthday weekend on the trails. The rear ring and pinion I backed into a rock a couple years ago at the crawl finally gave way.

Repaired my transmission cooler line. That was more messy than I was anticipating.

Got in the 1998 Grand tonight to go to my parents house and noticed something wasn't right. The passenger rear was sagging a lot. After reviewing thee situation, I found the passenger rear coil was almost fully compressed. Uggh! This thing just keeps sucking money from me. I want so much to like this Jeep but it just keeps giving me reason after reason not to.

Last weekend it warmed up into the low 20's....after 2 weeks of below zero/single digits. Pulled the XJ into the garage and flushed the heater core, and removed the Temperature Control Valve.

I cut in-two an old garden hose, o-clamped to the heater hoses, and ran the hose ends to my utility room sink and drain. Put about a cup of water on the floor. After it froze, I scraped it up.

Heat was much better on my 200 mile daily commute.

Though I just noted this thread is for the Southeast...not exactly Minnesota.

Last weekend it warmed up into the low 20's....after 2 weeks of below zero/single digits. Pulled the XJ into the garage and flushed the heater core, and removed the Temperature Control Valve.

I cut in-two an old garden hose, o-clamped to the heater hoses, and ran the hose ends to my utility room sink and drain. Put about a cup of water on the floor. After it froze, I scraped it up.

Heat was much better on my 200 mile daily commute.

Though I just noted this thread is for the Southeast...not exactly Minnesota.

No worries. We accept all kinds down here!

Anyone ever had shocks freeze?

Back