• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I got Two Ford Superduty front drive shafts that I bought for about $125 for the pair in plans to build a set of 1350 cv shafts to upgrade the 1310 I had ...lol...I cut and lengthened the rear 1310 and shortened the front as temp shafts to move my rig ,but the 1310s are proving to have no problem handling 44s and an Atlas 5.0 . Just yesterday I took it out on the back roads 44s and snow packed to ice is fun with no traction so hammer down until tsl rips through icy snow pack then they find hard frozen road and hook all at once shock loading the drive train ...no Kaboom...I then practice playing with front digs same thing pedal to floor wheel full lock turn and during the dig it would find hard frozen road and you could feel it grab ,but once again...no kaboom.

I'm just going to pick up some old xj front shafts and build them ready to install , but will probably never bother to build these Ford superduty shafts I just do not think they are worth it...lol...I mean I am trying to break these and they are laughing at me...The only shaft failure I had on 40 boggers was from not inspecting driveline for loose bolts and the front yoke to cardan was loose...kaboom...but had those been properly tightened it never would have broke . Also the 1350 from close inspection uses the ...same centering ball...as the 1310 so it is not a full upgrade ...lol...could the Pirate folks be wrong and you do not need Semi truck sized driveshaft joints for a Jeep .

Garage is all ready to get drywalled tomorrow, it's going to be nice to get this done finally.

280AD26B-8261-48C1-93A0-9F1D1727693E_zps8mufnslj.jpg

0F5F2202-5560-4EFA-B5E7-4B494F4DD464_zps3hpswhfv.jpg

Having finally dry walled mine over the summer - you're gonna love it!

I raked my gravel driveway this fall. It's like a whole different world crawling under the jeep.

My heep failed emissions.... again. Just on NOx like the previous 3 tests. The mechanics at our shop are scratching their heads.

Put out 4.65 out of 2.00.

I looked up my emissions from 2010 when the turbo setup passed, and it was 2.36 out of 9.00. When did they lower the limits? WTH?

O2 sensors are new. Smoke tested the exhaust, no leaks. Cat has less than 5000 miles on it. No CELs. AFR's via my wideband are spot on. Plugs are new and look ok. :badpc:

The mechanics want me to throw a new cat on there, so I'll likely build a new rear exhaust while I'm at it. The 3" is a little overkill for the stock 4.0L.

I just want to drive this POS... :helpme:

My heep failed emissions.... again. Just on NOx like the previous 3 tests. The mechanics at our shop are scratching their heads.

Put out 4.65 out of 2.00.

I looked up my emissions from 2010 when the turbo setup passed, and it was 2.36 out of 9.00. When did they lower the limits? WTH?

O2 sensors are new. Smoke tested the exhaust, no leaks. Cat has less than 5000 miles on it. No CELs. AFR's via my wideband are spot on. Plugs are new and look ok. :badpc:

The mechanics want me to throw a new cat on there, so I'll likely build a new rear exhaust while I'm at it. The 3" is a little overkill for the stock 4.0L.

I just want to drive this POS... :helpme:

When my 91 XJ had high NOx it was bad catalytic converter.

As you probably know, NOx is caused mainly by excessive combustion temps. What did your HC read? If you have some headroom, maybe you should fatten up the mixture a bit if you can get away with it or dial back the advance.

I'm super happy with it, and maybe even more happy to finally be done with this phase of the garage improvement. The only big thing I have left to do is either insulate the roof itself or cap the ceiling and insulate that, either route is going to be further down the road as I need to take a break from it all. There will still be little things here and there, adding some shelves and hanging a few more lights, but I'm done with having to move the entire garage around to do stuff.

Last edited:

While finishing the work around the front end I keep looking at the Radius arm front and think I want to upgrade it just to do it since I could re use the old rear lowers for front and I have extra joints . The things I have been mostly looking at is upper link placement for a triangulated set up I like the idea of making the upper links same length as lower to keep my pinion pointed at the case output , but that puts the links in the way and would limit the angle I could set them at , So completely ditching the idea of eaual length uppers to lowers and mouting the uppers back at the crossmember I am toying with mounting them on the bottom of the unirail just back where they start to curve up this should allow me at least 75% of the lowers and would favor maintaining caster angle during cycle rather than pinion angle ...I do not want to do any work beyond the Radius arms already there for anything that retains a panhard.

Mile Hi Jeep or one of the mostly Barbie Jeep clubs must be having a run for New Years at SlaughterHouse since there was a huge group of Wimmenz Jeeps staged at Loaf&Jug ... The JK crowd are the hard parkers of the off road scene ...lol

Blending thick sections of steel together to look like it was one formed piece sure does eat up the old mig wire .

There she goes -- SOLD! I am jeepless for the first time in 21 years...
00l0l_ft8CQgiKawp_600x450.jpg

Sadly(?) I am aware of such cure... I have an idea spinning about in my tiny little mind.

Back