• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shims for 2" OME lift?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
You guys that have the 2" OME full leaf lift...did you shim your rear axle to eliminate vibes? Or, did you do a SYE?

I have an '01, and I'm trying to get a shopping list together. It would be nice to be able to use the driveshaft I already have without vibes.

My 01 XJ had vibrations above 65 MPH, when at the stock height and it only got worse with a 2 " lift.
A SYE and new drive shaft cured the problem but at a cost.
I needed a 4 degree shim but every XJ seems to be a little different so YMMV.

You should install new rear axle u-bolts and center pins.
You should also change the rear brake line to a longer one or lower the hose mount.
If you are changing shocks, be prepared to break one or more of the upper rear shock bolts. I soaked the bolts for weeks and they still were frozen. I played with them for an hour and luckily got all of them to loosen.

I’m running 30/9.50/15 Revos. There is a little rubbing on the passenger side LCA at full lock.

Hope that helps

With 2" don't put any shims.
I'd lifted two cars ('90) one with 3" and the other with 3"1/2 without any problem of vibes.
Before with 2" also the extend of the brake lines wasn't needed.
If you go to 4" or more sure you have to add shims or lower the gear, is also important from this eight to check/adjust the caster.

Last edited:
Back