• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Hey Mac, were you one of the officers who arrested the couple who strapped four kids to the hood of their car? Is made the newscasts today at work.

That was during the day, I work at night for the city. Only part time usually during the day...tho I did work doubles all weekend...

I heard about it only on the news. I did see that it made the smoking gun too.

mac 'threw my stop sticks tho last night' gyvr

I have been reading for the past two hours about 4.7 strokers, what the hell did I get myself into!! The motor is in a 91 and has to go into my 97 so a few things have to change. Going to be reading for a few days. :(

It's not that bad woody. You will need the tps adaptor from Hesco. For the price vs fabbing up my own it was worth the money. Also make sure you know if your 4.2L crank is a long nose or short nose crank. If it's a long nose you will need to trim a little off the crank and have it tapped for the balancer bolt, or you can get the Hesco spacer, or make your own. I spent 30 or 35 bucks on the spacer. I tried to make my own but it wasnt' right and the balancer walked and allowed the belt to cut the lower radiator hose.

Fuel rail will be another issue. On my 89 the fuel rail had a return line at the rear or the fuel rail. The 96ish rail I used had that return line at the front. I ended up using SS brake lines and flaring the ends and fuel hose to extend the lines I needed. The 97 may or may not have the return line. I can't remember if it does. You will have to use the fuel rail that fits that year head as the mounting screws are different through the years.

Also spend the coin and have the block decked. It makes the quench right and will allow you to run 87oct gas. I did this and had to have slightly shorter pushrods. I would look into the forged pistons and the 4.0 rods.

With the 4.7 you may have to have an adjustable map sensor and possibly an adjustable fuel regulator.

Also look at Lunati Voodoo line for your cam. I run thier cam and lifters and it was cheaper than the other options. Also if you run a non stock cam you will probably have to trim the ears off the distributor. Otherwise it will be way out of time. I couldn't get mine timed right and as soon as I cut the ears off it sat right where I needed it too.

Oh and don't put a cork gasket on the valve cover. My machine shop did and it leaked shortly after I installed it.

You will also have a knock sensor on the 91 motor. You can just block that off with the old sensor or a shortish bolt.

Just a few things I ran into on my 4.6

Parakeet

I plan on stripping it down to just the block and head so I can swap everything from my 97 motor onto it. I need to find out what problems I am going to run into, as to why I am reading as I go with this. I just picked up the jeep and the motor runs great and has just under 1000 miles on it. But putting it into the 97 is going to take some work from what I am reading.

Don't think there will be a knock sensor on a 91, that's a RENIX thing, 90 and earlier. No reason to even take the sensor out if it is there, and I think it's a blind hole so if it's not there, just leave it out...

seconding the no cork gaskets part for sure. Best thing I ever did to my old motor was a felpro metal+silicone gasket, and they're reusable.

On 96 and later there is no fuel return line, it's a returnless system. 95 and earlier had the return line and vacuum operated FPR.

The computer is smarter and harder to fool every year, so a 97 may be interesting... I don't know the first thing about that stuff though.

If it was me I would use the upper end off the 97 to help simplify things. If you do that you don't have the EGR from the 91 upper end. You don't have to worry about the adaptor for the TPS. You also get a better flowing head and intake. If you can find one you could use the intake off of a 99 for a better flowing intake. That should bolt in with the 97 upper end.

Parakeet

there is no EGR on a 91 either. I think you are confusing your RENIX vs OBD1 years. 90 and down are RENIX, 91 and later are not.

I have a 91 and it has none of the RENIX things you have mentioned so far.

Don't think there will be a knock sensor on a 91, that's a RENIX thing, 90 and earlier. No reason to even take the sensor out if it is there, and I think it's a blind hole so if it's not there, just leave it out...

seconding the no cork gaskets part for sure. Best thing I ever did to my old motor was a felpro metal+silicone gasket, and they're reusable.

On 96 and later there is no fuel return line, it's a returnless system. 95 and earlier had the return line and vacuum operated FPR.

The computer is smarter and harder to fool every year, so a 97 may be interesting... I don't know the first thing about that stuff though.

My bad I was thinking the renix lived until 91. But your 97 upper end will bolt up to the 91 block.

On the fuel return I think there was a mid model year switch. My head had a casting number that was for the 96 and up IIRC and it had the return. I scratched my head a while on that one.

Parakeet

Subaru is GONE!!!!

Now ship your MJ to me and no one will get hurt

Back