• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Was just looking at computer chip stock investment news, reading, and whats going on with one buying another for 39 Billion dollars....cut to the chase, it dawned on me that one of the major new markets for small high speed chips is self driving cars and then I got thinking about all the crap on today's cars the auto industry has on them they can not figure out how to build so they last as it.:eek:

Brave new world folks!!! Buy a TANK!!!!:D

Buying old cars is like investing now. Seems like everything has gone up because a lot of people don't want the headache of all the new crap on cars today. Once these new ones reach the end of their service life they'll just get junked since no one will be able to afford all the crap to fix one. Oh your $3000 nav screen died? That also runs the radio and climate controls and and and....

J-Yards and China cheap junk parts bus is doing well. :(

Buying old cars is like investing now. Seems like everything has gone up because a lot of people don't want the headache of all the new crap on cars today. Once these new ones reach the end of their service life they'll just get junked since no one will be able to afford all the crap to fix one. Oh your $3000 nav screen died? That also runs the radio and climate controls and and and....

I recall freaking out in 1989 when my buddy had to spend $600 for a new Ford Alternator, because there were no rebuilts on the market yet. I paid $450 for my last, running when I bought it, 89 XJ, in 2012.

Hey guys, I have major KJ 3.7 engine damage question in a new thread here (col chapter thread) I could use your all's input on since you all really know this stuff so well. Started out as a miss fire, and head gasket replacement. Then a week later 2 bent valves and wiped cam lobs. 2010 Liberty, with 101,000 miles now, ran fine for 10 months, bought last year, my sons first jeep that he bought....and so far nothing is making sense!!!! His warranty runs out in 15 days :scared:

Had 3 says off for my weekend and wasted almost all 3 doing nothing. Sunday afternoon I finally got out and started doing something to the jeep which had
I used all 3 days I think I would about done with the front as I spent 3.5 hours clearing the inner fenders for cutting then fixing the pinion angle and pushing the axle forward then welding some stilts to the front so I could pull the coils...lol... The coils did not wanna spin out of their clips , so I said f-it and just cut them ...And then finally just as it was basically dark I got my first hole cut chopping out the stock coil tower and making a rough hole to slip the Artec tower in ...had I started this Friday morning I'd be ready to fill them and start the back , but this is going to be very easy just kind of a PITA without a lift doing it in a driveway .

With 8 inches of lift 18 inch struts fit under the hood with about a fingers gap and 7-1/4 of shaft showing I could drop it 2 inches but will probably leave it . It's supposed to snow tomorrow so the 3 hrs I got in today will probably be it for another week . I think I may even be able to fit a battery under hood if it's on its side .

Lol...mocked everything up yesterday with the 3 hrs I had and could not let that be so today in the snow I covered my welder with a tarp and decided to burn all the mounts in...lol... well I forgot to set up a spacer in the mounts while welding the ori mount tabs in and when I went to hang the strut it of course had moved from tbe weld heat and not having spacers bolted in to keep it aligned , so I had pull it all off to fix the tabs correctly ...lol...been further ahead sitting on my duff today .

BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at that little towhead a lot closer! ;)
Well my son is now getting ready to dump the 2006 Jeep Liberty that had all the recent engine problems, and is asking what to shop for. He likes jeeps, but he wants a reliable trust worthy easy to work on rig. He asked about Toyota Tacoma or Tundras, Nissan Altima, and a 99 Wrangler Sahara 2 door ($13,000??? OUCH!!!! I'm in the wrong business)

SUV wise, beach worthy, light duty off road, mostly DD road worthy for long cross country trips, SUV like what are good rigs and good years he should look for, and what should he avoid like the plague???

He wants something tough and long lived, easy to fix like our Cherokees, with decent MPGs (25-30 would be nice, but 20 might even be OK if everything else is there)

Well my son is now getting ready to dump the 2006 Jeep Liberty that had all the recent engine problems, and is asking what to shop for. He likes jeeps, but he wants a reliable trust worthy easy to work on rig. He asked about Toyota Tacoma or Tundras, Nissan Altima, and a 99 Wrangler Sahara 2 door ($13,000??? OUCH!!!! I'm in the wrong business)

SUV wise, beach worthy, light duty off road, mostly DD road worthy for long cross country trips, SUV like what are good rigs and good years he should look for, and what should he avoid like the plague???

He wants something tough and long lived, easy to fix like our Cherokees, with decent MPGs (25-30 would be nice, but 20 might even be OK if everything else is there)

Well if you find that unicorn let us know because I want one too.

I personally hate Toyotas because I despise how they're put together and think they're a PITA to work on. Not that they're really bad, I just hate working g on them. And timing belts....no thanks.

Do not buy a Nissan. Instant regret.

If you want an SUV that get 25+ MPG you're going to be looking for something smaller than a 4Runner or basically any true SUV. Our 2013 Kia Sportage averaged 25 MPG, it was the AWD and Turbocharged model. I actually liked that thing a lot and was pretty pissed to find out the ex wife got rid of it shortly after the divorce (I'd paid it off prior so it was a nearly new, low mileage, and paid for vehicle). It'd have no problem at the beach, but the super low profile tires and lack of clearance wouldn't do good for anything but the mildest trails.

I'd go XJ or TJ/LJ. For the amount you spend on a decent Toyota you'll have a nicer XJ. Really it would depend on his budget. What's he looking to spend?

I'd go XJ or TJ/LJ. For the amount you spend on a decent Toyota you'll have a nicer XJ. Really it would depend on his budget. What's he looking to spend?

That depends on where he buys it, available warranty (if any), Financing available (if any) and trade in value (if any *), Stealership, new or used, or buying from the owner *, and selling his jeep somewhere else, like Craigs list.

He still owns 2-3 times what the blue book is the damn Liberty. So he may stuck playing multiple Stealerships off on each other to sweat a deal, but that limits the choices. XJs are super scarce down here now. I have more in my driveway than Craigs list has, LOL.

What he needs to do is find someone that wants a new car, let them use his as a trade in, then take the other persons down payment cash in trade for his liberty, to buy a used Craiges list jeep, LMAO. :laugh:

Long story short he paid too much for the liberty, about 2 times blue book, as it was the best deal he could find here.

I heard the aftermarket gas caps do not work on Toyotas (company car at work), and Toy wants a bloody ransom for them when you fail emissions tests for a bad one.

Well if you find that unicorn let us know because I want one too.

I personally hate Toyotas because I despise how they're put together and think they're a PITA to work on. Not that they're really bad, I just hate working g on them. And timing belts....no thanks.

Do not buy a Nissan. Instant regret.

not going to get 25 mpg in a 4runner - my Taco will do 21 on the highway, 18 mixed. I have a buddy who has been in a Nissan Frontier for a decade - great little rig, put together every bit as well as my Titan was. I'm very pleased with the Tacoma.

Back