• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Truggy is really being resurrected? Or are you guys jacking around........

@YELLAHEEP It’s really being resurrected Troy. I saw it on a lift when I picked up my winch rope.

@time2getdirty I'm not really starting with something. I'm just going to use the hood, grill, tailgate, and possibly the cowl and dash pieces to skin the buggy as a 1957 Willy's CJ-5. The bonus of getting this entire vehicle (and why I've been looking out for a good deal on any pre-1975 Jeep) is that it'll give me a VIN and title for a vehicle that doesn't require emissions to run collector plates. I'll be either building my own chassis or cheating and getting the 4 seat version of the JHF/Goatbuilt chassis once its been released. Either way it'll be a 52" to 54" wide tube chassis with box tube main rails running a 5.3L LS, TH350/400, D300 or Atlas (depends on what I find), 108" WB, 67" WMS front, 65" WMS rear, full hydraulic steering, single triangulated 4-link front and rear, ORI's, cutting brakes, and 37's to start with room for bigger. Basically a stretched promod chassis with ORI's instead of just air shocks so that it'll ride a bit better and eliminate having to package sway bars and bump stops.

The CJ2a is 52" wide at the A-pillar/windshield frame, the CJ5 is 59 1/2" wide. If I build my own I'll probably go 52" to match the CJ2a, if I go with the JHF/Goatbuilt chassis its 54" wide. I was talking to Jesse Haines about it and he isn't able to sell chassis plans anymore with the deal he has going with Goatbuilt, but he does have a 52" wide chassis that fits CJ2a sheet metal a lot better, including the dash. Depending on how the 4 seat version of the JHF/GB chassis turns out I might get with him on that chassis or just build my own.

Last edited:

I have a title and vin plate for a 75 CJ-5 if you want to skip the entire vehicle part :laugh2:

I actually wouldn't mind, but then I'd have to buy a hood and grill to cut down. Those alone will cost me more than I'm paying for this one. If you're serious though let me know and I'll keep you in mind as a back up in case the deal on this one falls through.

In Wyoming you don't need a title or vin to start with. The state patrol will issue you a vin if it has everything needed to be legal (tail/head lights, mirrors,seatbelts) . No inspection after that.

My comment has nothing to do with that, and more to do with who's hands it's in.

David was responding to me regarding buying a complete CJ5 to rob it of its hood and grill and get a VIN and title for my buggy.

@David I'm paying $500 for this thing and I can probably recoup most of the funds buy selling off the parts I don't want. Since I don't live in Wyoming I can't just go down to Sheriff Billy Bob's office and get a license plate for any old pile of parts I had laying out behind the barn and slapped wheels on.

You having fun with your never ending wind, and needing to drive to Colorado to do any decent wheeling :D

I80 across to Utah is faster than i70 with a lot less traffic. Closer to South Dakota, and I am less than 10 minutes from the Colorado state line. Takes me 45 more minutes than you to go wheeling.

It’s only windy when you are passing through.

I80 across to Utah is faster than i70 with a lot less traffic. Closer to South Dakota, and I am less than 10 minutes from the Colorado state line. Takes me 45 more minutes than you to go wheeling.

It’s only windy when you are passing through.

I remember this one time when I lived in Laramie it wasn't windy. Just that one time.

Its so bad the massive swarms of mosquitos even adapted to it.

Back