• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Last edited:
Some 16" wheels and tires fell out of the sky. That puts me one step closer to WJ knuckles, if life doesn't happen again...

002.jpg

Mrs. Hypoid really likes the gold rims. :)

I told her I mighta got screwed. I pointed to the pile of tires and said: "He got that much room in his garage." I made a little box shape with my hands, "I got this much room in my garage." She thought that was funny.

All the same, I feel like a bandit! :D

grabbed these this morning
713e6a.jpg

to go on my 42 stickys
3587vci.jpg

and maybe eventually I will finish this 13 bolt...
30djwqv.jpg

grabbed these this morning
713e6a.jpg

to go on my 42 stickys
3587vci.jpg

Hmmm...where did you find these objects :D

I would have been tempted to jump on those TR's if I had seen them...but I think I'm going to stay with getting nice new shiney Racelines to compliment the nice new shiney buggy :D

BTW...I've got a 42x14R16.5 Iroc on the same TR beadock wheel (you can see it in my build thread) I might be looking to get rid of for a pretty damn good price if I can find a spare 42" Iroc for the one Raceline beadlock I have sitting around ;)

With the "wanna be expo" rig I have been trying to find a good spot for some spare parts. After picking up 3)-1310 spicers and 2)-760 spicers joints. I got home and started moving things around. Got the new alternator, new starter, belt hoses, misc. wire and connectors, fuses, winch line protector, and misc. crap stored away.

Made a few brackets and a little cutting....
image-12_zps346120de.jpg

so i took a ride last night to rampart and even tho there is not a lot of anything remotely difficult to drive on, i was impressed with the MJ. the ride even with hoopty shocks and crappy tires was good. far softer and more flexible than my TJ i had.(TJ was stock suspension on 31's)
the wheelbase and weight and the whole package felt really good. and i bought an XJ for my sister some years back and drive that and i also had a 73 blazer. i think this is better in many respects to all of them. and yes...a stock TJ is still formidable with a decent driver.
so i took off the reciever hitch and i swear the bed came up 4 inches. and before that i installed some aftermarket spring shackles. and tonight i trimmed some sheetmetal off the end of the bed and the area behind the rear tires and i took a few inches off. i was going to cut the bed and shorten it, but i think i ll instead make a bumper and keep it as high up as i can. when i get to it i ll post pics. in the interim i have some ideas for some tow/recovery points on the rear rails.
at first i was not digging my MJ. now i have a lot of the problems sorted out it is really a lot of fun. i need to rig 2 fuel can holders. i have the pre safety nazi wedco german style cans. tired of them bouncing and sliding all over. lastly, i cant wait to get rid of the d35 rear axle.

I'm installing ZJ steering and have it all set in place. I am curious though, how do I know when the tapered TRE's are set in place? Do I just align the castle nuts with the pin hole or do I need to expect a pop or something?

Also, I assume I wait and fill the zerks when done? There weren't any instructions with the parts...

Crank it down to the specified torque (or gudntight) and then tighten a little more at a time until the hole lines up with a slot.

You can grease at any time, but it makes less of a mess if you wait till it's fully installed.

Just found the TRE's are 35 ft/lbs and at the pitman it's 65. Guess I'm done...

Back