• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please share photos of your cargo area.

Just curious, but why do you guys hang/mount stuff over the right side window and block the view instead of on the left side when the spare isn't there?

I was just thinking that.

Made this over the last couple of weeks.

IMG_5031.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Where did you pick up the cargo divider?

Its NOS but its for a Mitusbish Magna Wagon, I'm in Australia and these are pretty common so I got it for free. Probably doesn't help you much though.

Cheers
Steve

Just curious, but why do you guys hang/mount stuff over the right side window and block the view instead of on the left side when the spare isn't there?
The plan is to mount another on the other side so I'll have 2..... His n Hers....

I have 2 Rotopax mounted to the tailbone so the only view I get out the back is top center. But that's what side mirrors are for.

The divider that keeps everything from sliding around.
rearorganizer06.jpg

As it sits right now, with my front driveshaft in the towel.
rearorganizer07.jpg

My bag of tricks with everything from jumper cables and spare sensors to extra food and clothes.
rearorganizer08.jpg

Some recovery goodies.
rearorganizer09.jpg

Toiletries and first aid, tripod flashlight, and a switch to turn the interior lights off and on.
rearorganizer10.jpg

The typical arrangement.
rearorganizer11.jpg

The divider that keeps everything from sliding around.
rearorganizer06.jpg

As it sits right now, with my front driveshaft in the towel.
rearorganizer07.jpg

My bag of tricks with everything from jumper cables and spare sensors to extra food and clothes.
rearorganizer08.jpg

Some recovery goodies.
rearorganizer09.jpg

Toiletries and first aid, tripod flashlight, and a switch to turn the interior lights off and on.
rearorganizer10.jpg

The typical arrangement.
rearorganizer11.jpg

What do you plan to do in the event of a rollover? My guess is that your toolbox might hurt to get hit with!

The toolbox by itself isn't so bad. It's the 20,000 lb bottle jack in there that's so damn heavy!

Anyway,
I have the best plan: to not roll over! I have some heavy-duty tie-downs I've yet to install. They are in the toolbox that's going to hit me. :laugh3:

The toolbox by itself isn't so bad. It's the 20,000 lb bottle jack in there that's so damn heavy!

Anyway, I have the best plan: to not roll over! I have some heavy-duty tie-downs I've yet to install. They are in the toolbox that's going to hit me. :laugh3:

I would guess that 99.8% of the people that have had a roll over hadn't planned it.
Just saying.

Anyway,
I have the best plan: to not roll over! I have some heavy-duty tie-downs I've yet to install. They are in the toolbox that's going to hit me. :laugh3:

when i first rolled my xj i hadn't planned on it either, and i had a tool box just like yours come flying from the back and went out the driver side rear door window, right behind my head. ever since then nothing goes in the jeep with out being ratchet strapped in real tight.

my advise get it tied down asap even a hard crash on the highway would make it come at ya.

my advise get it tied down asap even a hard crash on the highway would make it come at ya.

it doesn't even need to be a hard crash. In fact it doesn't need to be a crash at all. Ask Bryon Reyna. He was looking down or something on the freeway, looked up, saw he was going to run off the road and over corrected. Just the hard jerk sent his tool box flying around and through a rear quarter window.

Thanks for the concern. I'm well aware of the risk. As I've stated, I have the tie-downs to install and a fine collection of ratchet straps. The safety police can quit hijacking the thread now. :wave1:

standard.jpg

After rolling my Jeep in Moab in '03 and items rolling around in the cargo area I decided to build a cargo rack, but my wife surprised me in purchasing this cargo rack for my birthday several years ago and I modified the cargo rack to fit my needs.
Generally I have 4 commercial grade plastic boxes with hinged tops in the top section that is held in with a cargo net, the tool box and other items are ratchet strapped in below. Nothing moves around much now.
The is a 3.5 gallon air tank mounted in the spare tire location for airing up tires and operating the ARB. There is a string of LEDs under the shelf since the rack blocks the factory cargo light.

Last edited:
This is what it was at first, not very safe.
284419_10150315228517533_747357532_9223819_6642841_n.jpg

Then I did something like this. The left holds my tools. the top holds my guns or whatever I want and the bottom hold all my emergency/recovery gear/Whatever.
268899_10150315228502533_747357532_9223818_7849501_n.jpg

268896_10150315228592533_747357532_9223822_2211159_n.jpg

The plan is to mount another on the other side so I'll have 2..... His n Hers....

I have 2 Rotopax mounted to the tailbone so the only view I get out the back is top center. But that's what side mirrors are for.

Is your tailbone sagging at all? Mine doesn't really like to open and close much anymore with a 35" tire on it. I'm still thinking up a better solution to replace it, or at least the bearing in the hinge (haha, bearing...).

here's what i did with whats left of my cargo area.
IMG_20110714_141600.jpg

since the fuel tank was raised i lost room for a cooler and box of spares and such. so i built the rack specifically to hold the 8 gallon tote and cooler. then in front of the fuel tank i made mounts for my tool bags and goody bag for when i take my 3 kids and they end up taking every snack in the grocery store.

What's in the box?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200223524_200223524

16320_lg.jpg

I have the Task Force version of this kit from Lowes. I snagged it one Christmas for $60. It's nothing you want to to use to go into the automotive repair business with, but for most roadside or backyard tasks, it works just fine. I've also added some Harbor Freight extensions and universal adapters along with a an additional Task Force socket set. For a traveling tool set, it's not bad. I use Snap On in the garage but if somebody broke into the Jeep and stole all my tools, I'm out maybe $100. Something to consider, especially for you doorless guys and our soft top friends driving lesser Jeep models. :roflmao:

Here is a shot of me wheeling with mine after loosing the rear hatch.

cargotiedown.jpg

Back